Frequently Asked Questions

Sewer bill payments are now accepted online, over the counter in person, over the phone, or via the mail.

Payments can be mailed directly to First Northern Bank & Trust Co., 6663 Sullivan Trail, Wind Gap, PA 18091, or to the Administrative Office of the Authority located at 16 South Broadway, Suite 3, Wind Gap, PA 18091.

Sewer bills are mailed at the end of each calendar quarter end. The quarterly bill is comprised of an EDU charge of $39.00 per EDU together with a Consumption charge of $9.50 per thousand gallons of water consumed for the quarter.

If you need to know where the sanitary sewers are because excavation work is being planned or for any other reason call the WGMA Plant Supervisor @ 610-863-9266 BEFORE you dig.

If you feel there is a question of whether your home or business is connected to the sewer system, please call the WGMA Administrator @ 610-863-7770.

First call the WGMA Plant Supervisor @ 610-863-9266 whether or not you have Pennsylvania AWR Water and Sewer Line Protection. Sewer systems are monitored 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Plant Supervisor will come to determine if there is a problem with your sewer line or the Municipal Authority Main Line at no cost to the home owner.

If you have AWR Water and Sewer Line Protection: If there is a problem with the home owner’s line he will then inform you to call the Pennsylvania AWR (who will charge you a $50.00 service charge to investigate your problem) or a plumber to rectify your sewer line problem.